Pages

Popular Posts

Sunday 26 August 2012

Joining the community

In the last few days I have dipped my toe in the water of the Aspie and wider ASD community online, and I have to say that being able to see the struggles of others and reading about the support they receive has been  very comforting for me.
 After creating myself a twitter account and making a couple of posts under the #Aspie hash-tag I suddenly found myself receiving mentions and direct messages from people who wanted to talk to me and invite me to interact with the community at large.  To feel so welcome so quickly into a society where my experience has always been one of social awkwardness, long pauses, anxiety and not knowing what to say was a blessed relief.
 And its been very constructive: finding a good description of what it is to be aspie, joining a group to discuss ASD and Aspie issues or simply having people respond to you or forward your tweets
Finally after having spent so long feeling I have to work as hard as anyone else and never get the level of social acceptance that they do, I'm finding that there are other people out there who are having very similar experiences, and suddenly I don't feel quite so isolated.

2 comments:

  1. Hi A2! I'm glad to see you here in the blogosphere.

    I started blogging 5 years ago, before I had dx. Now I find that folks are appreciative of me sharing my journey.

    Would love a visit and comments from you at my blog- livewithautism.us and you can check out my inspirational and fun AwetismVideos channel here - http://www.youtube.com/user/awetismvideos?feature=results_main

    We are working on a reality tv proposal -- I'll be following you here and on twitter! Take care-
    Sharon Howarth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Sharon. I'm sure I'll see you around the boards :)

      Delete